Action if login happened

Sascha Ochsenknecht s.ochsenknecht at web.de
Thu Jan 15 19:38:22 UTC 2009

Hi,

I would like to execute a command whenever somebody tries to login on a
machine. The command should have following information (via env or
something else):

a) username
b) login successful / login failed
c) if failed -> why? (password wrong or non-existing username)

I played a bit with pam_exec, but I'm not sure how to pass the
information to the command specified with the pam_exec module. I know
that I can get the username from the env PAM_USER. But the other
information?

Another question is in which pam config file (probably common-auth, this
is included by almost every other service) and at which position should
I put the pam_exec module?

Currently I didn't find a solution, maybe somebody can help me!?

Thanks in advance,
Sascha