pam + ldap: pulling my hair out

I've been trying to figure out how to get pam authentication working with ldap. From what I've read, it should "just work". In my case, it "just fails".

No matter what I try, I get

Jun 3 06:16:42 selene dovecot-auth: pam_ldap: reconnecting to LDAP server... Jun 3 06:16:42 selene dovecot-auth: pam_ldap: ldap_simple_bind Can't contact LDAP server

I get this with every service I try; not just imap.

I've turned on debugging in ldap; pam is not connecting to the ldap server at all.

AFAICT, I have all of my pam modules set up correctly; at least I've followed the debian pam + ldap wiki and it all seems to make sense, except that pam never tries to actually connect to port 389. /etc/pam_ldap.conf has all the correct uri for the ldap server.

Is there some way to turn on debugging in pam? Some way to see what it's doing? A way to examine the modules it's using?

Thanks,

--Yan

--
Yan Seiner