httpd authentication

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Wed Dec 29 12:48:13 UTC 2010

Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 8:59 PM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com
> <mailto:yan at seiner.com>> wrote:
>
>     In that I can't find any distro that includes it; it was dropped from
>     Debian in 2009 due to being unmaintained.
>

> That does not mean it is out of date or doesn't work.

It hasn't been maintained since around 2007.  I'll try to build it but I
don't have much hope from reading the bug reports for debian and ubuntu.

> Even a cursory googling for mod_auth_pam returns an article suggesting
> mod_auth_external to replace it in all apache versions.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/mod-auth-external/
>
>     > Which httpd do you want to authenticate against?
>
>     I'm authenticating against a service-subscription website.  They
>     use http
>     authentication.  As long as a user is paid up, they can log in.
>      If not,
>     they're redirected to the payment portal.
>

> None of that is pam specific.
>
> Also when I asked which httpd I was asking which daemon you are using
> - ie apache,  lighttpd, etc.
I think the confusion is that mod_auth_pam allows apache or lighttpd to
authenticate using the pam stack.  I need to go the other way, have pam
query a web server with a username and password, and get back a yes or
no, much in the way that cURL can do.

I have 2 pieces of software:

one has a user database which tells me if a user is valid or not; the
second provides a service

The second needs to query the first via http basic authentication to see
if a user is valid.  The second uses pam for authentication.

--

   o__