Help with PAM remember option please

Aruna Gummalla aruna_gummalla at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 7 17:30:36 UTC 2010

Hi,

I am trying to set the remember option for passwd. Following is the /etc/pam.d/system-auth file

#%PAM-1.0
# This file is auto-generated.
auth        required      pam_env.so
auth        required      /lib64/security/pam_tally.so deny=2 onerr=fail even_deny_root_account unlock_time=5
auth        sufficient    pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
auth        required      pam_deny.so

#account     required      /lib64/security/pam_tally.so
account     required      pam_unix.so

password    required      pam_cracklib.so retry=3 minlen=8 difok=3 debug
password    required      pam_passwdqc.so enforce=everyone min=disabled,8,8,8,8 similar=deny passphrase=0 random=0 match=4
password    sufficient    pam_unix.so nullok use_authtok md5 shadow debug remember=5
password    required      pam_deny.so

session     optional      pam_keyinit.so revoke
session     required      pam_limits.so
session     [success=1 default=ignore] pam_succeed_if.so service in crond quiet use_uid
session     required      pam_unix.so

But when I use passwd to change the password, it does not store the old
passwords in /etc/security/opasswd and it does not remember the old
passwords. Can you please let me know what am I doing wrong here. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Thanks & Regards,
Aruna