[pam_access.so] How to ignore account expiration error(s)

ANIL KARADAĞ anil.karadag at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 08:18:34 UTC 2011

Hi Ben,

/etc/pam.d/crond includes the following lines;

account    sufficient  pam_rootok.so
account    required   pam_access.so
account    include    system-auth

crond with the above lines exits with an account expiration error if root
password is expired.

If crond uses "account    sufficient   pam_access.so" instead of "account
 required   pam_access.so", root's jobs can be run.

Does "sufficient" flag cause to access problem?

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 7:12 PM, ben <ben at appliedplastic.com> wrote:

> On 12/28/2011 5:39 AM, Jon Miller wrote:
> > Sorry but I do not have a direct answer to your question, however it
> > is my opinion that the use of pam_access doesn't make much sense for
> > /etc/pam.d/crond. Cronjobs are for users which already have access
> > whereas pam_access would be controlling who gained access in the first
> > place. My suggestion is to completely remove that line from crond.
> >
> > -- Jon Miller
>
> I suspect that pam_access is used to deny expired users. you might look
> at adding a root ok module first.
>
> --
> Ben Hildred
> Estimator