Verbal Login Failure

Gerrard Geldenhuis Gerrard.Geldenhuis at betfair.com
Wed Jan 5 10:34:16 UTC 2011

Hi
I am not sure if this is designed into PAM, but how can I feedback better to users about why/where their login failed?

I already here the voices about you not wanting to reveal that reason to the users but I think I have a valid case:
We use access.conf and when a users is not allowed access the following will happen:
users types in password
ssh session terminates

This is not very intuitive and your first thought is that you have typed your password wrong. If you could at least get a message to say access has been denied for whatever reason that would be imminently more useful and easier to debug for 1ste line support guys.

Is there any way to achieve this?

Regards