Querry regarding use of pam_succeed_if.so

neel.gurjar at gmail.com neel.gurjar at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 06:21:55 UTC 2011

Hi,

I am studying PAM.

I understood upto “auth sufficient pam_unix.so.”. If credentials are ok then authentication will be successful. And it wont load any other module.
But then why pam_succeed_if.so is there? I just did some work on it, I found it is only useful when pam_deny is disable.

auth        requisite     pam_succeed_if.so uid >= 500 quiet

Also it is used in “account” module type:
account     sufficient    pam_succeed_if.so uid < 500 quiet

Can you please explain me? I saw the documentation too, but didn’t understand the purpose of it.

Regards,
Neelesh Gurjar
I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious ! J
Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel