change session's login shell

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 21:04:32 UTC 2011

2011/7/25 Jason Clifford <jason at ukpost.com>:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Frank Van Damme <frank.vandamme at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to change a user's shell based on group membership. The group
>> membership is no problem - that's what pam_listfile is for. Changing
>> the shell, however, seems non-obvious. I've looked at the source code
>> of pam_unix and it provides the path to the users login shell
>> according to /etc/passwd, so it should be possible for a pam module to
>> set the shell to an arbitrary value, right?
>

> No because it's the ssh daemon or the login process that sets the shell.

So they each use their own methods like grepping /etc/passwd, doing
ldap lookups, or whatever it takes to come up with a shell - like
"nothing" in the case of obscure authentication methods that the
application happens to know nothing about?

--
Frank Van Damme
No part of this copyright message may be reproduced, read or seen,