Authenticate against AD: Access denied when "User must change password at next logon" is set

grove at zeta.org.au grove at zeta.org.au
Tue Jul 26 01:06:25 UTC 2011

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011, Kenneth Holter wrote:

Are you mapping the shadowaccount Attribute along with Userpassword Attribute?

You must map both if you use shadow passwd entry like in RH or Solaris.

rachel

> Hi all,
>

> I posted this question on the RHEL 5 mailing list, but didn't get any
> replies. Then I came across pam-list, and this may be a more
> appropriate place to post this question. This is the case:
>
> I'm working on setting up our RHEL servers to authenticate against
> Active Directory 2008. With my current setup, users can log in and
> most everything looks good. But one issue I'm having is that when the
> "User must change password at next logon" box on AD i checked, I'm
> denied access to the linux box. First, this is my setup:
>
> ###### /etc/ldap.conf ##########
>
> uri ldaps://ldap.example.com
> base dc=example,dc=com
>
> nss_map_attribute uniqueMember msSFU30PosixMember
> nss_map_attribute userPassword msSFU30Password
>
> pam_password_prohibit_message Your password could not be changed
> pam_password ad
> ssl on
> tls_checkpeer no
>
> bind_timelimit 120
> idle_timelimit 3600
> bind_policy soft
> nss_initgroups_ignoreusers
> root,ldap,named,avahi,haldaemon,dbus,radvd,tomcat,radiusd,news,mailman
>
> binddn cn=serviceuser,ou=accounts,dc=example,dc=com
> bindpw secret
>
> TLS_REQCERT allow
>
> ###### /etc/pam.d/system-auth ###########
> #%PAM-1.0
> # /etc/pam.d/system-auth
> auth        required      pam_env.so
> auth        sufficient    pam_unix.so nullok try_first_pass
> auth        requisite     pam_succeed_if.so uid >= 500 quiet
> auth        sufficient    pam_ldap.so use_first_pass
> auth        required      pam_deny.so
>
> account     required      pam_unix.so broken_shadow
> account     sufficient    pam_localuser.so
> account     sufficient    pam_succeed_if.so uid < 500 quiet
> account     [default=bad success=ok user_unknown=ignore] pam_ldap.so
> account     required      pam_permit.so
> account     required      pam_access.so
> accessfile=/etc/security/access.custom.conf
>
> password    requisite     pam_cracklib.so try_first_pass retry=3 type=
> password    sufficient    pam_unix.so md5 shadow nullok try_first_pass
> use_authtok
> password    sufficient    pam_ldap.so use_authtok
> password    required      pam_deny.so
>
> session     optional      pam_keyinit.so revoke
> session     required      pam_limits.so
> session     [success=1 default=ignore] pam_succeed_if.so service in
> crond quiet use_uid
> session     required      pam_unix.so
> session     optional      pam_ldap.so
> session     required      pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel umask=077

> -- snip --
> passwd:     ldap compat
> shadow:     ldap compat
> group:      ldap compat
> -- snip --
>

> So when I issue for example "ssh kenneth at server" to log into my RHEL
> [...]

Rachel Polanskis                 Kingswood, Greater Western Sydney, Australia
grove at zeta.org.au                http://www.zeta.org.au/~grove/grove.html
    "The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum." - Finagle's Law