Pam on Puppy Linux

How can I get pam to start at login on Puppy Linux? I've successfully compiled and installed it, but I don't know how to get it working.

What makes it challenging is that Puppy Linux has no login manager, and is a root-only system, not multiuser.

There's a script called xwin that starts x with the following command:

  /usr/bin/xinit /root/.xinitrc -- -bpp 16 > /tmp/xerrs.log 2>&1

Could I add something to this script to also start pam? Or what do I have to do to get it running?

Cheers

John