Authentication problems with pam_tally2 and Ansible

Dylan Martin dmartin at seattlecentral.edu
Thu Dec 1 16:18:25 UTC 2016

Have you considered the problem of getting locked out of your computers
because some bozo on the Internet is trying a brute force attack?  I get
something like 20,000 failed logins for root every day.  You might as well
just turn off root login at the ssh config.

I use Fail2ban (there are others) to bloc the source IP of the attacker.  I
only block it for 15 minutes or so, but it's enough to slow down the
attacker and blunt the attack.  Block the badguy, not yourself or your
users. :-)

Good Luck!

-Dylan