pam_tally2 and tallylog

lists at brimer.org lists at brimer.org
Mon Jan 25 06:13:50 UTC 2016

On Sat, 23 Jan 2016, Phil Beckley wrote:

> 1. Why is tallylog a binary file? I would love to parse it like a log, but
> that seems like a difficult task.

Thorsten has already answered why this is a binary file. It seems that you
are trying to come up with a way to log failed login attempts. I have an
idea for you that is somewhat unconventional:

Use pam_shield <http://www.heiho.net/pam_shield/> and instead of having it
create iptables rules, have it echo a message to logger on a localx
facility .. which will effectively allow you to have a log created of
people failing to log in to your systems. You don't have to use logger or
use syslog even .. rather you could run whatever command is interesting to
you/meets your needs.

Hope this helps,
Barry