pam_tally2 and tallylog

Phil Beckley phil.beckley at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 21:18:47 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I've been looking for documentation and in forums, but I'm not having any
luck getting more information on the items in the subject. I have a couple
of questions and please let me know if this isn't the right place to
address these questions.

1. Why is tallylog a binary file? I would love to parse it like a log, but
that seems like a difficult task.
2. Is there a more in-depth description/explanation of how to modify the
pam conf files? I was looking at the PAM SA guide, but was unable to make
sense of a lot of it as I don't have a background in PAM, as a whole.

Thanks for your help.