RHEL7 How to configure password policies based on UID (ranges)

Juha A. juha24 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 23 05:53:55 UTC 2017

Hi,

I would need to configure different password policy based on the users UID.

For example:

- UID 1000-1999: Minimum Password Length = 15, 3 different character classes

- UID 2000-2999: Minimum Password Length = 20, 4 different character classes

The /etc/security/pwquality.conf does not seem to have a way to configure different rules based on UID, but I was also unable to get system-auth/password-auth to work properly.

Would anyone have advice on how to achieve the above?

Thanks!