pwquality.conf Whitespace

I'm attempting to configure a host with password length/complexity requirements using pam_pwquality.so.  When setting the options in /etc/security/pwquality.conf, I've noticed that whitespace is required around the equal sign separating the option and value (i.e., minlen=14 is bad, but minlen = 14 is good).  Is this expected behavior?  The man page indicates that the whitespace is ignored, so I'm wondering if I'm crazy.  Multiple tests reveal the same behavior, though.

If this is the expected behavior, perhaps the note in the manual could be changed to indicate that settings will not be enforced if the whitespace is not correct.

I'm using libpwquality-1.2.3-4.el7.x86_64