pwquality.conf Whitespace

Dave Cushman dhcushman at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 14:52:38 UTC 2018

I'm attempting to configure a host with password length/complexity
requirements using pam_pwquality.so.  When setting the options in
/etc/security/pwquality.conf, I've noticed that whitespace is required
around the equal sign separating the option and value (i.e., minlen=14 is
bad, but minlen = 14 is good).  Is this expected behavior?  The man page
indicates that the whitespace is ignored, so I'm wondering if I'm crazy.
Multiple tests reveal the same behavior, though.

If this is the expected behavior, perhaps the note in the manual could be
changed to indicate that settings will not be enforced if the whitespace is
not correct.

I'm using libpwquality-1.2.3-4.el7.x86_64