Re: Which conf file handles password complexity during account creation

On Fri, 23 Oct 2020, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 3:01 PM Broking, Brian R <brb10 psu edu> wrote:

It could be pam_pwquality.so
You may also want to check /etc/security/pwquality.conf

It could also be pam_passwdqc.so  or pam_cracklib.so depending on the system builders choice.

This assumes you are doing local authentication and not using IPA which would have it's own Password Policy.

Good Luck.  Been there and know what you are dealing with.

Thanks. I commented the pam_pwquality.so lines in passwd and
system-auth. I now get "passwd: Authentication token manipulation
error". I guess I went down a rabbit hole.

What's in your /etc/pam.d/system-auth and if you have one /etc/pam.d/password-auth