[Patternfly] What forms or form elements does your application use?

Malini Rao mrao at redhat.com
Thu Apr 10 14:31:14 UTC 2014

Matt,

Ovirt has forms mostly as part of tabbed modals in the form of new or edit properties for different business entities. In some of these forms, the requirements are quite complex. For instance in the Edit VM dialog -
- we have a static section on the form at the top that serves as a context irrespective of switching tabs

- Some fields have special indicators. These include -
--- a link icon that can be broken sometimes to indicate dependencies on other fields - For e.g, if user has chosen a specific instance type to spin up a VM, there are certain configurations that comes along with that choice. These are indicated by the chain icon. If the user changes any of these fields, then the instance type field changes to 'custom' and the chain is broken.
--- Some fields edited on a running VM take effect only when the VM is restarted. So, the form has to indicate what the current value is and what the future value of this field will be. Currently, there is a proposal on the table to also have a visual indicator to let the user know which of the fields are of this type on the form.
--- Some fields have a question mark icon that presents more info on the field in a bubble

- Forms can have collapsed advanced options  - on the side tabs and in the body of the form!

- Forms can include lists where users can add/ remove lines and also edit them

I have attached some mocks to help illustrate some of these. Please feel free to contact me for more clarifications if necessary.

Thanks
Malini