[Patternfly] Pattern for form actions

Gabriel Cardoso gcardoso at redhat.com
Thu Apr 10 15:39:47 UTC 2014

> I assume that you want to keep the number of visible buttons to a minimum otherwise there is no point of hiding 'delete' button if the form is dirty. I.e., if you want to delete the record, you don't care about the unsaved changes you already made.
Yes, Petr, I want to reduce the information load. The Delete button calls a lot of attention (more than the save button actually) and I don’t want to make him think (see image below). We are assuming that after the user start to edit, he is more likely to save or clear his changes than deleting the artefact. That’s why we hide the button.

> We have similar buttons in FreeIPA just with different names:
> - 'Refresh' reload from server - always enabled
> - 'Reset' undo changes - enabled if form is dirty
> - 'Update' save changes - enabled if form is dirty
>
> We also have 'undo' next to each form control. It's visible only when the item is dirty.
Thanks for sharing!

> These are good questions that you raise.  Not sure about Scenario 02 either.  In other places I have seen a "Revert" button that I think does the same thing you are proposing for "Clear Changes".  Not Sure what "Delete" is doing in this context.  I'm generally not a big fan of buttons appearing and disappearing or changing names.
Matt, we need somehow to allow the user to delete the artefact. I’ll take the Push page as example. We don’t have a list of Push resources, so the only place where the user can delete a push is inside the Push page. This page illustrates the scenario 02:

- Initial state (not modified)

- After making changes

I’m not a big fan of dancing buttons as well, but I think this is better than the three buttons side by side (like above). What do you think?

And finally, that will be the initial state for the scenario 01:

Thanks,

Gabriel

---
Gabriel Cardoso