[Patternfly] tooltip delay

Greg Sheremeta gshereme at redhat.com
Fri May 30 22:47:18 UTC 2014

For oVirt, we have tooltips all over the place. One of the places is a question mark icon that we use to indicate context-sensitive help is available. Here, I think it's ok to pop the tooltip immediately on hover. The user expects that. However, for our application menu items, they are very central on the screen and having instant popup makes it very distracting when you're simply doing regular mouse actions. You don't intent to hover over them to see a tooltip -- you just can't help but pass over them as you move the mouse around the screen.

Perhaps a pattern that makes sense is:
- if a tooptip is being used in an obvious 'help me' context, instant is ok.
- else, if the trigger element is somewhere off in the corner of the screen, instant is ok (depends on context, perhaps)
- else -- especially anything in the middle of the application screen -- 2 second delay.

Greg