[Patternfly] What's New on PatternFly

Leslie Hinson lhinson at redhat.com
Mon Dec 14 15:56:26 UTC 2015

Hey Gabriel,

Inline comments below but also looping in Kyle, SJ and Liz as they are the
interaction and/or visual design contributors for the table pattern.

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 1:42 PM, Gabriel Cardoso <gcardoso at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Leslie,
>
> Great updates :)
>
> I have a doubt about filtering in datatables. In the “Find in a Table
> View” example, you present the filter + actions + find in a top bar:
> https://www.patternfly.org/patterns/find/

Yep, filter, action and find are all options of the data toolbar. Data
toolbar documentation is currently in the pipeline and we hope to have that
up on the site soon.  See:
https://patternfly.atlassian.net/browse/PTNFLY-273

> However, I saw a prototype that presents the filter inside the datatable:
> https://www.patternfly.org/table-view-organize-your-data/

The blog post for the table design is only addressing filter and actions at
this time. Additional features will be addressed in later sprints.

> We are dealing with filter + table in Hawkular. What would be the criteria
> to decide if it goes inside or outside the table?

I'm not sure what you mean by inside or outside. You may be considering the
table pattern as "inside" because it has a gray background? Please note
these are wireframes and not final visualizations. When looking at the
table under "Find in a table View" notice that the elements are located in
the same space. The white background may be causing you to see it as
"outside"? Is that the case?

FYI: We are currently working on final visualizations for the table pattern
in this sprint so you should see that posted to the site soon. If you would
like, you can follow the story here:
https://patternfly.atlassian.net/browse/PTNFLY-991

> If many actions, in the toolbar, if only the filter, inside the table?

If you have many actions, our recommendation is to show the primary and
secondary action as buttons and then collapse the remaining actions under
the vertical ellipses icon (http://fontawesome.io/icon/ellipsis-v/).
Revisiting the table write-up, I noticed that we are not explicitly saying
this. SJ/Liz: Maybe this is something that we should add to the
documentation for #7?

Best,
Leslie