[Patternfly] "add filter" pattern

David O'Brien daobrien at redhat.com
Tue Jun 30 14:28:44 UTC 2015

On 05/22/2015 12:38 AM, Allie Jacobs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> OpenShift has a filter box with the label “Filter by labels”. The button
> currently says “+ Filter”. The plus sign is going to be removed and we
> are deciding now if we want to button label to be “Add Filter” or if
> “Add” is sufficient since the field has the label “Filter”. Entering
> more filters adds them to the list of filters to the right.
>

> Do any of your products use a similar pattern? What is the button label?
>
> I was leaning towards just “Filter” but don’t want the user to assume
> that a new filter clears the first rather than refines it. I don’t know
> if “Add” is sufficient since the field label is so small it may be
> overlooked and I don’t want the user to confuse this for adding a new
> project / whatever. “Add Filter” is the least ambiguous but also the
> longest.
>
> I appreciate the help, thanks!
>
> Allie
>
> calendar:
> https://www.google.com/calendar/b/1/embed?src=ajacobs@redhat.com&ctz=America/New_York

Two comments:

1. In RH doc we always remove punctuation when documenting GUI objects,
so in this case we'd refer to the "+ Filter" button as just "Filter".

2. If the button label were "Add" and you relied on the field label for
context, you'd be doing translators a disservice because they would see
the two in isolation. i.e., they would only see "Add" and nothing to
indicate what it referred to. Fair enough, in many cases it might make
no difference, but in other cases the verb might change for different
objects, or it might not be obvious if it's a verb, noun, or adjective.

I'd use "Add Filter" (or "Add filter" - whatever the case style dictates).

cheers
--

David

Word Nerd and style pedant