[Patternfly] Credit Card Logo Icons

Jonathan Yu jawnsy at redhat.com
Mon Dec 12 21:16:09 UTC 2016

Hey PatternFlyers,

We're building some web interfaces based on PatternFly that accept payment
method information.  Since PatternFly doesn't have controls specifically
for accepting credit cards (compare with Polymer's gold-cc-input
<https://elements.polymer-project.org/elements/gold-cc-input?view=demo:demo/index.html&active=gold-cc-input>),
we're using simple text boxes augmented with jquery.payment
<https://github.com/stripe/jquery.payment> for validation/formatting.

I'm now looking for some logo icons to indicate the types of credit cards
we support, and also to show that we're validating cards (by automatically
detecting the card type and displaying a corresponding icon).

Mastercard publishes some
<https://brand.mastercard.com/brandcenter/mastercard-brand-mark/downloads.html>
but these are missing Discover (and I don't know if we can use these
without appropriate legal review)

There are also various third-party ones, but the copyright/license on those
are often vague or prohibitive for our use case.  Most just say that the
icons are free (as in beer) but they're not a straightforward license like
CC-BY or CC0.  IconShock <http://www.iconshock.com/credit-card-icons/> has
a good set, but it requires a commercial license.  There are some on
Dribbble and Smashing Magazine, but aside from "hey, they're free" there's
not really much detail about licensing/copyright.

gold-cc-input itself is licensed under a BSD-like license (along with the
rest of Polymer) but the icons are PNG and were checked in without any
details of the origin of the icons.

Does anyone have any advice here?

Jonathan