[Patternfly] Discussion: Dropdown labels

Gabriel Cardoso gcardoso at redhat.com
Wed Jul 13 12:49:30 UTC 2016

Hi Allie,

I do believe the label does improve usability. This makes me remember the book “Don’t make me think” by Steve Krug. With the label, users don’t need to think. Without it, they have to figure it out, perhaps interact with it to understand that is sorting.
That said, I think it also depends on how “clean” we want to leave the toolbar.

Thanks,
Gabriel

> On Jul 12, 2016, at 6:13 PM, Serena Doyle <sdoyle at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> Allie,
>
> We are using this pattern in the CloudForms self service UI. I haven't personally heard any issues with it, but am happy to reach out to the CloudForms team to see if they have received any negative feedback.
>
> We did not add a filter label not sort label on the components in the toolbar when designing them for PatternFly.  I'm not sure we did any specific usability testing on this pattern last summer.  Chris Shinn may have some additional information on that.
>
> Thanks!
> Serena
>
> On Tuesday, July 12, 2016, Allie Jacobs <ajacobs at redhat.com <mailto:ajacobs at redhat.com>> wrote:
> Hi PatternFly-ers,
>
> I applied the Toolbar pattern <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Bo-36tNbAbJ9qrlK0hW3El5vFItugEusivSxDuJ-vf4/edit?ts=5783c18e> to a page in OpenShift.
>
> <Toolbar.png>
>>
> One of the developers asked a question about the sort function. He asked about adding a label to the dropdown, something like this:
> <Sort.png>
>

> Do you have other feedback or opinions about this?
>
> Do you think adding a label to the sort dropdown is appropriate in the Toolbar?
>
> Are there other instances where adding a label to a dropdown would improve usability?
>

> Discuss away!
> Thanks,
> Allie
>>
> --