[Patternfly] Consequences of removing the /dist folder

Greg Sheremeta gshereme at redhat.com
Fri Jul 29 22:12:34 UTC 2016

I was hoping to rely on the /dist folder for building an rpm in v3 (which
is done [1]). Effectively the rpm is a zip with the contents of /dist.

As long as I can get those /dist contents some other way -- preferably as
easy as downloading a .tar.gz from github release tab -- I'm ok.

[1] https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/patternfly/patternfly3/

Best wishes,
Greg

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 6:05 PM, Brian Leathem <bleathem at redhat.com> wrote:

> Lol, my autocorrect is contextual.
>
> s/beaches/branches/
>
> Brian
>
> On Jul 29, 2016 3:00 PM, "Brian Leathem" <bleathem at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> What if instead of parallel beaches within a repo, we have a parallel
>> repo?  The the branch names could map one-to-one.
>>
>> Brian
>>
>> On Jul 28, 2016 1:18 PM, "Brian Leathem" <bleathem at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> We are in the process of removing the /dist folder from the patternfly
>>> core repo [1] to be rebuilt using a travis pipeline and committed in a
>>> "release" branch.  However we've noticed a couple unfortunate consequences
>>> of this change, specifically with our workflow based around sharing "test"
>>> pages.
>>>
>>> 1) sharing of test pages on individual forks is no longer
>>> straightforward, as they would not be available by default on the checked
>>> out branch
>>>
>>> 2) viewing of test pages to associated PRs is no longer straightforward,
>>> ans the test pages are not included in the "release" branch until the PR is
>>> merged to master
>>>
>>> Dana and Dan have worked out a travis script [2] to automatically build
>>> a "release" branch for every branch in an appropriately configured fork.
>>> This resolves 1), although at the expense of creating a lot of branches.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on another way to deal with
>>> the availability of the test pages when they are not included in the master
>>> branch?  Feel free to ask for any clarifications if I didn't explain our
>>> scenario well.
>>>
>>> - Brian
>>>
>>> [1] https://patternfly.atlassian.net/browse/PTNFLY-1589
>>> [2] https://github.com/patternfly/patternfly/pull/380