[Patternfly] Contributions guidelines to PatternFly

Andres Galante agalante at redhat.com
Tue Jun 14 17:05:23 UTC 2016

Hi,

We've wrote new Contribution Guidelines to improve the way we get
contributions to patternfly, and find a path for designers to participate
in the community.

We want to centralise everything in github.

At the moment designs patterns don’t have a real place, they are spread on
docs, or on the website.

We want for design specs to be living document with a fiscal representation
on a github repo just as we do it with code.

The process to send code is though a github pull request. That pull request
gets discuss and merge. And if we see an bug in it, we open an issue and
send a new pull request with the fix. That fix is discuss again and merge.

The idea is to follow the same process for designs and designers.

We will have a repo for designs, where designers will send markdown
documents. Markdown allows to easily write text and add images to describe
the pattern.

Designers will send design draft on Pull Request, where we will held design
discussions

Once we merge the design draft, it becomes a design recommendation. But of
course, since it is also a living document we can send new PRs up update it.

This will also allow to easily cross reference design and code PRs in
Patternfly and with other projects.

What's the cost? Designers will have to learn git. But don’t worry it's not
that hard. Once you do it once then it becomes second nature, plus its
super fun and it's the way open source communities works.

To pull all of this together we've wrote new contribution guidelines, and
I'd love to hear your thoughts before posting them to the project:

https://gist.github.com/andresgalante/a0d8238d8cd448b14eac9c377e76d489

Thanks!