[Patternfly] PatternFly for Vue?

Jonathan Yu jawnsy at redhat.com
Sun Nov 13 18:42:21 UTC 2016

Hello PatternFlyers!

I know, I know - another year, another whiz-bang JavaScript framework
<https://javascript-game.firebaseapp.com/> (no, really, try this game) -
but I've been playing with Vue <https://vuejs.org/> (2.0 was just released a
few months ago
<https://medium.com/the-vue-point/vue-2-0-is-here-ef1f26acf4b8>) and
everything I've read about it seems pretty promising so far.

Despite being a relatively young project (starting in 2013), its tooling
support seems fairly good, and there's quite an active ecosystem, including
a port of Bootstrap's components called VueStrap
<http://yuche.github.io/vue-strap/>.  The design borrows from various other
initiatives, taking inspiration from Web Components, Polymer, and React,
among others.  If you're not familiar with Vue, their documentation has a great
comparison with other technologies
<https://vuejs.org/v2/guide/comparison.html>.

In the summer, Dana Gutride asked if Web Components are in the future for
PatternFly
<http://developers.redhat.com/blog/2016/08/09/are-web-components-in-the-future-for-patternfly/>,
and I wanted to start a discussion about Vue.  What would it take to get a
Vue-ified PatternFly?  Would anyone be interested in trying this out with
me, as a little hobby project?  (I've got lots of enthusiasm and some
energy to put into this, but not much web-fu, so I could use a mentor!)

Bonus content: a bunch of CSS-only components
<https://twitter.com/Real_CSS_Tricks/status/797799175442182144> (what is
this sorcery?!)

Cheers,

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Yu / Software Engineer, OpenShift by Red Hat / Follow me on
Twitter @jawnsy <https://twitter.com/jawnsy>

*“Restlessness is discontent — and discontent is the first necessity of
progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man — and I will show you a
failure.”* — Thomas Edison