[Patternfly] Share your thoughts: syntax hints used in forms

Jonathan Yu jawnsy at redhat.com
Mon Nov 21 17:40:06 UTC 2016

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 9:18 AM, Jenny Haines <jhaines at redhat.com> wrote:

> I agree- the first of the two options seems like a great way to give the
> user a last chance to view the syntax text. This is important when someone
> quickly tabs through a form. There are definitely some specific cases when
> breaking apart form fields makes more sense from a usability perspective.
>
>    - "Name ________ -> First Name _____  Last Name ______
>
> First name/last name is a very Western-centric approach to names, so while
I've done separated first/last name fields like this (mainly because they
were handed to me as requirements), they may not be an inclusive way to
design forms: https://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-personal-names

>    - Phone Number _________ -> Phone Number (__) - __ -  __
>
> Phone numbers seem very tricky, because the format changes dramatically
based on the country code. If all your registrants are from the United
States, Canada, Bahamas, etc (+1 country code) then this approach works,
though it does impact some interactions like copy/paste of a phone number
into or out of the field.

Of course, everything depends on what and for whom you're designing.

> *Jenny Haines*
> *UI/VISUAL DESIGNER*
> (m) 443-889-2881
> jhaines at redhat.com
> jennyhaines10 at gmail.com
>
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 11:27 AM, Matt Carrano <mcarrano at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I like the first option also, and feel like this is most consistent with
>> what I expect.
>>
>> Matt
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 8:06 AM, Leslie Hinson <lhinson at redhat.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Nice, thanks for sending out these examples. Out of these two options, I
>>> prefer the first one and don't find it too visually distracting.
>>>
>>> Curious about what others think or are doing to date.
>>>
>>> Leslie

>> --
>> Matt Carrano
>> Sr. Interaction Designer
>> Red Hat, Inc.
>> mcarrano at redhat.com

Jonathan Yu / Software Engineer, OpenShift by Red Hat / Follow me on
Twitter @jawnsy <https://twitter.com/jawnsy>

*“Restlessness is discontent — and discontent is the first necessity of
progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man — and I will show you a
failure.”* — Thomas Edison