[Patternfly] NPM module CSS results in error

Patrick Riley priley at redhat.com
Wed Sep 7 13:30:32 UTC 2016

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for raising the issue to the ML.

As you're probably noticing, pathing with Webpack can be challenging. As
it's a new technology, there are still a lot of open issues.

One thing I noticed while attempting to compile Patternfly LESS directly
from the NPM node_modules folder was the relative paths in LESS import
statements were not always respected. This appears to be an open issue with
Webpack less-loading.
https://github.com/webpack/less-loader/issues/76

For the time being, I would suggest copying our LESS files into your
project source (using an additional build step) so that paths are
respected, or simply copying our distributed CSS directly to your build
output (using the CopyWebpackPlugin) and extending our CSS where necessary.
These are just suggestions and notes I've made while testing Patternfly
with Webpack, but please do let us know if you find any other solutions.

There are some examples of how to do this and a sample Webpack setup in our
Patternfly Demo App.
https://github.com/patternfly/patternfly-demo-app

Of course, another alternative may be to look at Gulp as a build tool.
Webpack is on the bleeding edge right now, so of course there will be
challenges.

Hope this helps!

-Patrick