[Patternfly] Request to include flexbox

Andres Galante agalante at redhat.com
Thu Sep 22 12:15:12 UTC 2016

Hi Ju,

I am sure the Tendrl is confused.

Flexbox is a CSS property that provides the ability to  arrange elements in
the page. [1]

Grid layout, is a new spec, still a draft on the W3C and with almost no
adoption on browsers. [2]

Semantic UI framework uses flexbox to build their grid system. Since
boostrap 3 was born before flexbox, then its grid its based on floats.

Bootstrap 4 has an option to use flexbox and we will use it when we migrate
to 4 on the next steps of patternfly. As for when, I don't know, but I'll
have more info after this week.

Its important to notice that BS4 is an alpha so anything can change.

Can they use flexfox now? the answer of source its "it depends". Flexbox
support is pretty good at the moment but if they want to support older
browser the wont be able to use it [3]

My recommendation is for them to use bootstrap grid system, its works good
with floats and when patternfly moves to Bootstrap 4 the migration of the
grid would be almost transparent.

That is a good question though, we are living a huge change on layouts with
flexbox and CSS grid layout, exiting times for CSS and the web!

[1]
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/CSS_Flexible_Box_Layout/Using_CSS_flexible_boxes
[2] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/CSS_Grid_Layout
[3] http://caniuse.com/#feat=flexbox