[Patternfly] Syntax hint wireframes

Jessica Ryhanych jryhanyc at redhat.com
Mon Jan 16 19:15:14 UTC 2017

Hey PatternFlyers,
I’ve attached a few wireframes addressing the initial discovery work [1] on syntax hints. Please send your thoughts on which option we should move forward with as the recommendation and what issues you see with it, if any. Here we go:

1. Placeholder syntax hints – wireframe shows the form before user clicks or starts typing into the field

2. Placeholder syntax hints – wireframe shows the form after user has typed data into field, submitted, and an error message is returned. The error message would need to specifically detail the problem with the syntax.

3. Syntax hints below input field

4. Syntax hints below input field – Original syntax hint would be removed and replaced with red error message that reiterates syntax requirements below form field.

5. Syntax hints below input field – Syntax hint stays on the page after user submits and error message appears below original hint.

***This option seems redundant IMO and could be confusing / overwhelming visually but I’m curious if anyone could see a scenario where this might be needed.

6. Syntax hints in-line with form field

7. Syntax hints in-line with form field – Syntax hint stays on screen after the user submits and receives an error message.

***This could have similar challenges as #5 above and if needed, a responsive / mobile page layout would need to be determined.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions? Thanks!
Jessica

[1] https://blog.patternfly.org/exploring-syntax-hints/ <https://blog.patternfly.org/exploring-syntax-hints/>

Jessica W. Ryhanych