[PatternFly] Newbie question

Matt Carrano mcarrano at redhat.com
Wed Nov 21 19:33:48 UTC 2018

Hi Tom,

Thanks for asking this question. It's true that there are some patterns
listed on the site that don't have corresponding code samples or JS
framework components. Tour happens to be one of them. Hopefully the design
documentation will provide some guidance on how to implement this.

If you do end up doing an implementation and want to contribute it back so
it can be available to others, we would definitely welcome that. I can help
you with that process.

Let me know how else we can help.

Regards,

Matt Carrano
PatternFly Interaction Design Lead
Red Hat UXD Team

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 11:57 AM <tom at quarendon.net> wrote:

> Forgive my ignorance of what patternfly is, but I'm confused.
> I'm looking through the "pattern library" and thinking "great, this is
> exactly what I need".
> My confusion comes when I try and figure out how to actually make use of
> the pattern, how to implement it.
> I seem to be missing a link. I can see there's a github repository with
> some code in it, but I'm not sure I know what styles to use and so on. Some
> of the patterns in the pattern library appear to have some code and some
> don't.
>
> Perhaps I should be more specific. I'm particularly looking at the "tour"
> pattern as it's something I've been wanting to do. Although there are some
> example screenshots, there's no code that I can see, and I can't find any
> references to "tour" in the patternfly github repo.
>
> So is patternfly on the one hand a design specification (much like
> "material design" in that respect) and on the other hand an implementation
> of *some* of those designs?
>
> Don't get me wrong, even as a design specification it's been what I've
> been looking for (you never know what term to google for until you find the
> thing you were trying to search for in the first place). I was just
> expecting to find some kind of reference documentation, that kind of thing.
>
> Sorry if this seems like a basic question.
>
> Thanks.

Matt Carrano
Sr. Interaction Designer
Red Hat, Inc.