Re: sys_cleartid and cleartid support for the main thread

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 12:36:51AM -0800, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> I do not think that any kernel change is necessary for this.

I see only these solutions, and kernel modification seems the best one:
1. Special-case it and do the clearing in user mode: this doesn't work
    if the thread dies unexpectedly (e.g. pthread_kill(SIGKILL)).
2. Special-case death signals for pthread_kill: this doesn't work if
    the thread is externally killed and isn't clean anyway, especially
    because you would need to keep track of how signals are set to
    determine if they are going to be lethal.
3. Clone and don't use the main thread: slow.
4. Don't use CLONE_DETACHED and catch the SIGCHLD: slow (and there are
    probably other problems).
5. Add a sys_cleartid syscall: almost zero overhead, since it also
    replaces gettid(), but Linus may not accept it.

Any other solution I have missed?