RE: faster pthread_getspecific

> Start using ELF TLS.  If NPTL is available TLS is, too.  It's the real
> solution to any problem involving pthread_getspecific etc.

I think pthread interface is much more popular than ELF TLS. At least
it is new to me.

> Show me some numbers.  What improvements do you see?  An improvement
> like that (just simpler) is certainly possible but you've to convince me
> it's really useful.  Just time the startup of your JVM.

On one platform I have tested, (I can not name for confidential reason),
the pthread_getspecific() takes 1% of cpu time running Tomcat/JVM. The
pthread_getspecific() used on this system takes less than 10 instructions
in total. The current NPTL pthread_getspecific() is much slower than that.

Hong