Re: NPTL and architectures without thread registers

> Should this be read to mean that NPTL will not be supported (won't work)
> on architectures whose ABIs do not have a thread register? This includes
> IA-32, Alpha, ppc32, x86-64 among others...

Yes.  IA32, Alpha, and x86-64 all have features usable as thread registers
when they contain pointers.  On IA32 and x86-64 it's segment registers, and
Alpha has a PAL call.  PPC32 is screwed if the ABI is not changed.  I heard
there was a register not actually used by the compiler and people were
considered taking it from the ABI to be the thread register (possibly
breaking some handwritten assembly code).