nptl on other platform than i686 (thinking of i586)

I like to play around with mono on my pentium at home, and therefor
the first test for a new pthreads library is 'running the boehm libgc
test program'. NGPT, for example, doesn't pass this test in
multi-processor mode, as in 2.0.3 it is not yet possible to know when
a thread get suspended.

To fill my time, I decided last wednesday to try NPTL. At the second
try (the first failed because I made a typing error), today, I found
out that some include files are only available for
i686. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about assembly. So I would
like to know, how strong is the i686-requirement for those files?

Thanks in advance,
        Marijn

PS: I'm not on the list, but read the archives regularly.
PS2: I plan to try a build tomorrow with 2 files
(sysdeps/i386/i686/atomic.h and
sysdeps/i386/i686/bits/pthread_spin_trylock.S) copied to i586. Yes, I
am foolish.
PS3: Yes, I am masochistic, too, still using a P120 for such heavy
programs.