Thread Problem?

I've upgraded my RH8 to kernel 27 and the latest glibs. This system I'm developing is thread intensive and has developed problems. If I call ncurses initscr(), the next pthread_create() causes a segmentation fault. In addition gdb doesn't seem to be able to place a breakpoint in a thread.

Are there updates I could get that would be more compatible with the new thread logic?

Thanks
Paul