How to detect NPTL at compile time

Red Hat Linux 9 ships with the NPTL.  Our code
contains workarounds for LinuxThreads, and I
want to disable the workarounds if we are compiling
against NPTL.  How do I detect whether the pthread
library is LinuxThreads or NPTL at compile time?
Can I use the glibc version number to determine
that (i.e., NPTL if glibc 2.3 or higher)?

Wan-Teh