Firstly, I apologize if this is the wrong list to post my following
question on. If you could direct me to the correct list, I'd be

I'm the author of a Single Threaded IRC application.
Recently, Ive been trying to get this working on a RedHat 9 box, to no

My problem is that my process hangs when trying to read a file stream
with fgets. If i use fgets_unlocked, all is fine, till I fclose the

When the process hangs, strace shows:

strace -p 10730
futex(0x42132320, FUTEX_WAIT, -2, NULL <unfinished ...>

What I'm so throughly confused about is that I'm not doing any locking
of sorts anywhere within my application. And, as mentioned, I'm not
using threads at all.

I understand that the futex call was part of the kernel changes with
regards to NPTL, and from googl'ing around, found this list.

If anyone can tell me why I have this particular problem on RedHat 9,
and what I should be doing to fix it, I would be appriciate it very

By the way, if I export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 before starting my
program, I don't have this problem, but I'd like to find the correct way
to fix it.

Cheers for your help.

Justin Hammond <justin dynam ac>
Dynamx Internet Services