RE: upgrading to nptl

The simplest way is to install a RH9 or Fedora box. :P

Any 2.6 kernel has TLS capacity. If you'd like to play with glibc source:

$ cvs -z 9 -d :pserver:anoncvs sources redhat com:/cvs/glibc login
{enter "anoncvs" as the password}
$ cvs -z 9 -d :pserver:anoncvs sources redhat com:/cvs/glibc co libc
$ mkdir build
$ cd build
$ ../libc/configure --prefix=/tmp/install \
            --disable-profile \
            --enable-add-ons=nptl --with-tls \
            --with-headers=/path/of/your/kernel/include
$ make -j2
$ make -j2 install

You can try the new glibc in /tmp/install first. If you'd like to update the whole system glibc, you can set --prefix=/ but you are in risk of some your applications perhaps couldn't run well any more.

Good Luck !

Boris Hu
(Hu Jiangtao)
Software Engineer ICSL
86-021-5257-4545#1277
There are my thoughts, not my employer's.