Re: Memory allocation jump after running for a while with a largenumber of threads

Dan Kegel wrote:

Hrvoje Niksic wrote:

[...] The problem is that, from time to time, memory usage suddenly jumps by a huge amount, say by a gigabyte. So the application with 3000 threads that used to consume ~800M memory suddenly consumes ~1800M!

This reminds me of the well-known memory strangenesses of Java.

Strangeness in general, or do you have something specific in mind?

Have you checked the Java community for suggestions?

I've done a fair amount of google searching, but nothing relevant has shown up. I didn't know of a more narrow community where this might be relevant.

You might also consider writing a minimal test case to demonstrate
it. (Hard, I know.)

I'll try that as a last resort, but I don't expect much success. For this effect to show, the chat server must sometimes run for days. Without insight into exactly what triggers the jump, it might be very hard to come up with code that reproduces it reliably.