Re: [Fwd: Fast thread-local storage for OpenGL drivers]

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 09:11:00PM -0800, Roland McGrath wrote:
> These people clearly haven't read all of the TLS paper, or looked at the
> GCC implementation of __thread long enough to notice -ftls-model and
> __attribute__ ((tls_model)).

Humor me?  Reading the paper, it appears that for TLS to work in a
shared library it is necessary to make the ___tls_get_address call to
get the module id.  It seems like the -ftls-model switch is directly
relevant here but its documentation in the GCC manual is absolutely
useless; it lists the alternatives but doesn't explain the implications
of using the different models (they'd need initial-exec?) in a shared
library instead of the default.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz