RE: Kernel lock-up with NPTL

> From: 'Carlo Wood' [mailto:carlo alinoe com]
>
> On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 11:22:32AM -0700, Perez-Gonzalez, Inaky wrote:
> > Just in case, enable in the kernel configuration, debugging
> > section the Magic SysRq support. Then, when the lock hits,
> > hit Alt+SysRq+P (in this order).
>
> Holding the keys after pressing them?
> What is this supposed to do?  I have no printer, no serial whatever
> and my keyboard is dead.

That's like an emergency pull out that might work if things are
not too hoosed. It will print the state of all the tasks.

> > > with xmms, the last second or so of the music keeps repeating
> > > after locking up.
> >
> > Woah... what's your hw?
>
> Thats just a soundcard artefact I guess (soundblaster Live! 5.1).
> It means nothing else but that the kernel stopped sending data
> to the card.

BTW - you are forcing the lock from the console, right? not from X.

> Imho, what is happening is that the kernel dead-locks in a spinlock
> or futex.

Try to enable also the hangcheck timer (kernel's config, character
device, last option, AFAIR).

Iñaky Pérez-González -- Not speaking for Intel -- all opinions are my own
(and my fault)