RE: Kernel lock-up with NPTL

> From: 'Carlo Wood' [mailto:carlo alinoe com]
>
> On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 06:59:50PM -0700, Perez-Gonzalez, Inaky wrote:
> > That's like an emergency pull out that might work if things are
> > not too hoosed. It will print the state of all the tasks.
>
> Hmm, I'll try.
>
> > BTW - you are forcing the lock from the console, right? not from X.
>
> from X.

Ok, you need to do it from the console - if the program is strictly
X window based, start X, then switch back to console 1 (for example),
log-in with the same user as the one on the X session and run the
program as

$ export DISPLAY=:0.0
$ PROGRAM [ARGUMENTS]

If you are on X, without a serial console, you will never see
the kernel output when in big trouble ...

> > Try to enable also the hangcheck timer (kernel's config, character
> > device, last option, AFAIR).
>
> That seems to be 'Watchdog Timer Support', I thought you
> need hardware for that (ie http://www.pcwd.de/)

It is similar, but not the same. This is a TSC based timer; if
the interrupts are not too hosed, it will still work.

Iñaky Pérez-González -- Not speaking for Intel -- all opinions are my own
(and my fault)