Re: Egad! What are all these thread libraries? :-)

Horsley Tom wrote:

So now I wonder what the /usr/lib/nptl/ version is and when it will be used? Is tls just another name for nptl or what?

I did check and all of them are different sizes and have different inodes,
so they aren't just links :-).

Here's what I see on rhl9:

... ~]$ cat /usr/lib/nptl/libpthread.so
/* GNU ld script
   Use the shared library, but some functions are only in
   the static library, so try that secondarily.  */
OUTPUT_FORMAT(elf32-i386)
GROUP ( /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0 /usr/lib/nptl/libpthread_nonshared.a )
... ~]$

/lib/tls/libpthread.so.0 is the nptl library. /usr/lib/nptl is part of the nptl-devel package; it's the directory to use when linking directly to nptl. (If you intend to do so, don't forget to include the nptl headers.)