Q about VSZ wrt NPTL

Sameer Suhas Deokule sdeokulecluster at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 30 03:08:54 UTC 2004

I am looking for information/answer as to any rationale behind choosing the default
stacksize to be 10MB in RHEL3.0. i.e why 10. why not 1 MB or some other value ? Is it related to the processor OR the typical recursion nesting OR something else....?
thanks
Sameer

Arjan van de Ven <arjanv at redhat.com> wrote:

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 12:37:55PM -0700, Sameer Suhas Deokule wrote:
> Maybe I should have been clearer and phrased my question as :-
>
> How was the default stack size of 10MB arrived at ? Any insight would be
> appreciated.

it's the default ulimit for stacksize in RHEL3, which glibc copies for thread stacks