RE: Thread starvation with mutex

> From: Jamie Lokier

> I admit I don't know much about the RTNPTL implementation, but having
> thought about scheduling issues due to the other recent threads on
> phil-list, I see that real-time futex wakeups would _not_ guarantee
> that a SCHED_FIFO task would ever acquire a mutex which SCHED_OTHER
> tasks were periodically releasing.  (Think about multiple CPUs).

If you have strict ownership transferal _and_ priority sorted wake ups
in the kernel, then that problem should not be an issue at all, because
the userspace word is kept locked while the transaction lasts, and in
the kernel space, you need the spinlock to do anything.

Iñaky Pérez-González -- Not speaking for Intel -- all opinions are my own (and my fault)