VSZ keeps on increasing as threads created and cancelled on rhel3.0

Hi ,
We are observing that even though number of threads in the application is the same (rhel3.0) as the application has to create some threads and cancel them, eventually over a period of time the VSZ for the app. process increases. Why does the stack for the cleanly cancelled thread not get reused when a new thread is created ? I would expect that if the number of threads in use by the application is constant then thread creation and cancellation should not result in VSZ increasing over a period of time. Memory leak testing does not indicate any leaks.
thanks
Sameer

Do you Yahoo!?