VSZ keeps on increasing as threads created and cancelled on rhel3.0

Sameer Suhas Deokule sdeokulecluster at yahoo.com
Thu May 13 22:02:56 UTC 2004

I am observing this with RHEL3.0. Any information about a patch/update
that fixes this for RHEL3.0 would be appreciated..

Linux 2.4.21-4.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Oct 3 17:52:56 EDT 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

libpthread-0.60

libgcc_s-3.2.3-20030829

libc-2.3.2

thanks
Sameer

Måns_Rullgård <mru at kth.se> wrote:Sameer Suhas Deokule writes:

> Hi , We are observing that even though number of threads in the
> application is the same (rhel3.0) as the application has to create
> some threads and cancel them, eventually over a period of time the VSZ
> for the app. process increases. Why does the stack for the cleanly
> cancelled thread not get reused when a new thread is created ? I would
> expect that if the number of threads in use by the application is
> constant then thread creation and cancellation should not result in
> VSZ increasing over a period of time. Memory leak testing does not
> indicate any leaks.

I used to see something similar on my machine running regular 2.6
kernels and glibc from cvs. It stopped some time ago though.
Supposedly some bug has been fixed.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru at kth.se