Re: New packages suggestion.

Proftpd - http://proftpd.linux.co.uk/goals.html

ProFTPD grew out of the desire to have a secure and configurable FTP server, and out of a significant admiration of the Apache web server. There are currently a very limited number of FTP servers running on Unix (or Unix-like) hosts. The most commonly used server is wu-ftpd. While wu-ftpd provides excellent performance and is generally a good product, it lacks numerous features found in newer Win32 FTP servers and has a poor security history. Many people, including the developers who work on ProFTPD, have spent a great deal of time fixing bugs and hacking features into wu-ftpd. Unfortunately, it quickly became clear that a complete redesign was necessary in order to implement the configurability and features desired. ProFTPD is not a hack based on any other server, it's an independent source tree from the ground up. A number of well known and high traffic sites use ProFTPD.

In addition to wu-ftpd, there are a few of other FTP servers available which are designed to be light-weight and secure at the expense of configurability. For example, Troll FTP is an excellent FTP daemon which is considerably more secure and less resource-intensive than wu-ftpd. Unfortunately, while it is quite suitable for basic FTP services, it does not offer the feature set required for more sophisticated FTP sites.

Keepalived - http://keepalived.sourceforge.net/

The main goal of the keepalived project is to add a strong & robust keepalive facility to the Linux Virtual Server project. This project is written in C with multilayer TCP/IP stack checks. Keepalived implements a framework based on three family checks : Layer3, Layer4 & Layer5. This framework gives the daemon the ability of checking a LVS server pool states. When one of the server of the LVS sever pool is down, keepalived informs the linux kernel via a setsockopt call to remove this server entrie from the LVS topology. In addition keepalived implements a VRRPv2 stack to handle director failover. So in short keepalived is a userspace daemon for LVS cluster nodes healthchecks and LVS directors failover.

Webmin - http://www.webmin.com/intro.html
Webmin is a web-based interface for system administration for Unix. Using any browser that supports tables and forms (and Java for the File Manager module), you can setup user accounts, Apache, DNS, file sharing and so on.

Webmin consists of a simple web server, and a number of CGI programs which directly update system files like /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/passwd. The web server and all CGI programs are written in Perl version 5, and use no non-standard Perl modules.

Perl - Net-SSLeay
Allows SSL for perl. Webmin uses Net-SSLeay to handle https.

Mkcdrec - http://mkcdrec.sourceforge.net/
mkCDrec makes a bootable (El Torito) disaster recovery image (CDrec.iso), including backups of the linux system to the same CD-ROM (or CD-RW) if space permits, or to a multi-volume  CD-ROM set. Otherwise, the backups can be stored on another local disk, NFS disk or (remote) tape.
After a disaster (disk crash or system intrusion) the system can be booted from the CD-ROM and one can restore the complete system as it was (at the time mkCDrec was run) with the command /etc/recovery/start-restore.sh.

Portsentry - http://www.psionic.com/products/portsentry.html
PortSentry is a program designed to detect and respond to port scans against a target host in real-time.

Brett

>>> wnett hotmail com 12/25/02 08:16 AM >>>
Ok chuckles... how about telling us what these packages are?

W!ll