Re: New packages suggestion.

On Wed, Dec 25, 2002 at 09:26:02AM -0500, Brett Simpson wrote:
> In addition to wu-ftpd, there are a few of other FTP servers available
> which are designed to be light-weight and secure at the expense of
> configurability. For example, Troll FTP is an excellent FTP daemon which
> is considerably more secure and less resource-intensive than wu-ftpd.
> Unfortunately, while it is quite suitable for basic FTP services, it does
> not offer the feature set required for more sophisticated FTP sites.

Did you notice vsftpd?

> Webmin - http://www.webmin.com/intro.html

Red Hat's working on making their own configuration tools. They may not be
perfect yet, but I'm sure they intend them to be eventually. Webmin looks
cool and all, but it isn't in keeping with the way they've been doing
things, and certainly adding it doesn't fit with the current "provide one
good way of doing things" philosophy which seems to (agree with it or not)
permeate recent releases. In other words, I don't see it adding much to the
distro in general, even though it seems very useful for some people.

> Mkcdrec - http://mkcdrec.sourceforge.net/ mkCDrec makes a bootable (El
> Torito) disaster recovery image (CDrec.iso), including backups of the
> linux system to the same CD-ROM (or CD-RW) if space permits, or to a

Sounds cool. Have you seen the red hat sysadmin emergency cd?

> Portsentry - http://www.psionic.com/products/portsentry.html
> PortSentry is a program designed to detect and respond to port scans
> against a target host in real-time.

And, it's a way for paranoid but well meaning newbies to suck all the time
out of security response teams over things which are not really threats.
Also see <http://www.linux.ie/articles/portsentryandsnortcompared.php>.
Plus, aren't there some patent issues?